World/International Literacy Day History, Theme, Quotes, Poster are the basic things which one need to know while searching for World/International literacy day. Here in this post(World/International Literacy Day History, Theme, Quotes, Poster) i will through light on all the parts related to world literacy day.
World/International literacy day is celebrated on 8th September every year.
World/International Literacy Day History
International/World Literacy Day i.e 8 September was declared by UNESCO on November 17, 1965. In 1966 it was first celebrated and its aim behind celebration is to show and spread the importance of literacy all over world to individuals , communities and societies.
On this day, the Director-General of UNESCO addresses a message all over world to individuals , communities, societies, organizations and states to demonstrate their support and solidarity(unity or agreement of feeling or action) for literacy and to promote non-formal education for all, particularly for those who have been excluded from the school system. It aim in short words is to eradicate illiteracy.
At present five world/International literacy prizes on International/World Literacy Day are awarded each year:-
- The International Reading Association Literacy Award, started in 1979 by the International Reading Association (Non-Governmental Organization)
- The Noma Literacy Prize started in 1980 by the late Shoichi Noma (President of Kodansha Ltd. Publishers)
- The two King Sejong Literacy Prizes started in 1989 by the Government of the Republic of Korea.
- The Malcolm Adiseshiah International Literacy Prize Started in 1998 by the Government of India to commemorate the late Malcolm Adiseshiah. Malcolm Adiseshiah is former Deputy Director-General of UNESCO and Chairman of the International Literacy Prize Jury.
World/International Literacy Day Theme
World/International Literacy Day celebration has a specific theme of the year in order to make it effective by executing some strategic plan to resolve the problems related to the illiteracy all over the world. World/International Literacy Day Themes of the International Literacy Day of various years are written below:-
- Theme for 2006 was “Literacy sustains development” for achieving social progress.
- Theme for 2007 and 2008 was “Literacy and Health” to focus on literacy and epidemics (communicable diseases like HIV, Tuberculosis, Malaria, etc).
- Theme for 2009 and 2010 was “Literacy and Empowerment” to focus on gender equality and empowering women.
- Theme for 2011 and 2012 was “Literacy and Peace” .
- The theme for 2013 was “Literacy for the 21st Century”.
- Theme for 2014 was “Literacy and Sustainable Development”.
World/International Literacy Day Quotes
The Various World/International Literacy Day Quotes on International Literacy Day are given below:-
- “Learning is not attained by chance. It must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence“.
- “It is time for parents to teach young people early on that in diversity there is beauty and there is strength” .
- “Literacy unlocks the door to learning throughout life, is essential to development and health, and opens the way for democratic participation and active citizenship“.
- “Literacy is at the heart of sustainable development“.
- “Education is a human right with immense power to transform. On its foundation rest the cornerstones of freedom, democracy and sustainable human development“.
- “Knowledge is power. Information is liberating. Education is the premise of progress, in every society, in every family“.
- “People don’t realize how a man’s whole life can be changed by one book.“
- “Education makes a people easy to lead but difficult to drive; easy to govern but impossible to enslave.“
- “Literacy is not a luxury, it is a right and a responsibility. If our world is to meet the challenges of the twenty-first century we must harness the energy and creativity of all our citizens.” Said by:- President Clinton on International Literacy Day, September 8th 1994.
- “If you love books enough books will love you back“
World/International Literacy Day Poster
It’s the high time to impress others through beautiful pictures , messages, quotes, posters. If you like this don’t forget to share (World/International Literacy Day History, Theme, Quotes, Poster) with your friends, cousin, neighbor, etc.