REFLEXIVE AND EMPHATIC PRONOUNS
Reflexive and Emphatic pronouns Examples
- When we add self to Personal Pronouns (singular in number) & selves to Personal Pronouns (plural in number), such pronouns are known as Reflexive Pronouns.
Personal pronouns (singular in number)
- I cook myself.
- He cook himself.
- You will cook Yourself.
- She cook herself.
- The dog ate itself.
- She will go herself.
- He will go himself.
- You will hurt yourself.
Personal pronouns (plural in number)
- We cook ourselves.
- we will go ourselves.
- You cook yourselves.
- you will go yourselves.
- They cook themselves.
- They will go themselves.
- You will hurt yourselves.
NOTE:- In all the above sentences , it is noticed that Reflexive pronouns used in the object refers to the same person or thing denoted by the subject.
- Sometimes (in older English), in poetry, simple pronouns are used as reflexively.
Now i lay me down to sleep.
- Some times self is used as noun.
- She thinks much of self.
- He never cared about anybody but self.
EMPHATIC PRONOUNS:- When Reflexive Pronouns are used to put emphasis ,such pronouns are called Emphatic Pronouns.
- They will do it themselves.
- We will see to it ourselves.
- We will ourselves solve this problem.
- She cut her figure herself.
- He himself heard the remark.
- The town itself has very big market.
- You yourself can best explain.
- He cook himself at present.
USES OF REFLEXIVE PRONOUNS:-
- It is used when a person accents on his action or skill.
- He will himself do this work.
- I shall myself do this work.
3. We will ourselves prepare the timetable.
When the person has to face both action and result.
1) He cut his finger himself.
2) She cut her finger herself.
3) She cook herself at present.
4) I cook myself at present.
5) He cook himself at present.
DO YOU KNOW?
- What is Pronoun and its kinds?
For answer go to “PRONOUN AND KINDS OF PRONOUN“
- What is Noun?
For answer go to “NOUN AND KINDS OF NOUN“
- What is Sentence, Subject and Predicate?
For answer go to “Sentence, Subject and Predicate“