International Day of Peace is also called as world peace day. World peace day is its unofficial name. It is annually observed on 21st September. As International day of peace/World peace day arrives people start searching about its history, activities and quotes. Here I came up with International Day of Peace Activities, Quotes, History which will complete your search.
International Day of Peace/ World Peace Day History
International Day of Peace/ World Peace Day is annually observed on 21st September. This day is dedicated to world peace. International Day of Peace/ World Peace Day day is dedicated to the absence of war and violence. It was established by the United Nations in 1981. In 1982 it was first celebrated and was accepted by many nations , groups. UN headquarter is in New York city. International Day of Peace/ World Peace Day was held on the third Tuesday of September every year until 2002, when September 21 became the permanent date for the International Day of Peace.At this movement the assembly also declared that the day should be observed as a day of global ceasefire & non-violence. On this day the United Nations Peace Bell is rung at UN headquarter ( in New York city). The United Nations Peace Bell is cast from coins donated by children from all continents except Africa, and United Nations Peace Bell was a gift from the United Nations Association of Japan, as “a reminder of the human cost of war”. The inscription on its side of bell reads, “Long live absolute world peace”. Many events are organised worldwide to commemorate and celebrate this peace Day.
This day is dedicated to the efforts of all those people who have worked hard to end conflict and promote peace. Dove is the bird associated with International Day of Peace/ World Peace Day. Dove flying with an olive branch in its beak is one of the most commonly featured symbols for this day (International Day of Peace/ World Peace Day).
International Day of Peace/ World Peace Day Activities
On the International Day of Peace/ World Peace Day, people around the world take part in various activities and organize events focused on the theme “peace”/ “no war and no violence”. Various types of events are organized and these events vary from simple private gatherings to public concerts . It Include large number of audience which fill life in the events.
A key ingredient in building culture of peace is education. The young of today deserve a radically different education – one that does not glorify war but educates for peace, non-violence and international cooperation. Citizens and students (School, college) wear a white dove to symbolize peace. And other communities sponsor peace parades & vigils. International Peace Day give educators an opportunity to teach their students about history, the importance of peace and the costs of war. It’s a day that can be celebrated in different ways.
International Day of Peace/ World Peace Day activities are also done in classrooms of schools and colleges. These activities include various things. Teachers teach students that this is the time to join hand and live in peace and teachers also explain students that there is nothing left in wars and violence because it only leads to destruction and just destruction. International Day of Peace/ World Peace Day day that can be celebrated in many different ways:-
- Promoting Peace Day activities by planting a tree.
- discuss how different cultures celebrate peace.
- Ask your students to come up with films to watch – or have them create their own.
- Poetry Slam, music, paintings, plays, comedy skits, and more about peace. Your students will never forget this.
- Interfaith peace ceremonies.
- A toast for peace.
- Lighting candles.
- Peace prayers.
- Art exhibitions promoting peace.
- Picnics for peace.
- Peace walks.
Some groups observe a minute of silence at noon in every time zone across the world on Peace Day.
International Day of Peace/ World Peace Day Quotes
Various inspirational International day of peace/ world peace day quotes are given below:-
- “Peace consists, very largely, in the fact of desiring it with all one’s soul“
- “Peace is not a matter of prizes or trophies. It is not the product of a victory or command. It has no finishing line, no final deadline, no fixed definition of achievement“
- “As they used to say ‘What if they gave a war and nobody came?’ How worthwhile if they declared a day of peace and everybody came “.
- “Peace is the beauty of life. It is sunshine. It is the smile of a child, the love of a mother, the joy of a father, the togetherness of a family. It is the advancement of man, the victory of a just cause, the triumph of truth. Peace is all of these and more and more“
- “Militarism is no longer a synonym for patriotism. Our survival as a planet depends on maintaining peace and justice“
- “There is no time left for anything but to make peace work a dimension of our every waking activity“
- “Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding“
- “If the human race wishes to have a prolonged and indefinite period of material prosperity, they have only got to behave in a peaceful and helpful way toward one another“
- “A day of peace and sharing can lead to greater understanding and cooperation among political parties, faith groups, and people of different races and economic class“
- “I think war is based in greed and there are huge karmic retributions that will follow. I think war is never the answer to solving any problems. The best way to solve problems is to not have enemies.“
- “Peace is not absence of conflict, it is the ability to handle conflict by peaceful means“
- “Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without“
- “When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace“
- “Pursue some path, however narrow and crooked, in which you can walk with love and reverence“
- “Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace. Where there is hatred, let me sow love“
- “First keep peace with yourself, then you can also bring peace to others“
- “We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves“
- “Harmony makes small things grow, lack of it makes great things decay“
- “Those who are at war with others are not at peace with themselves“
- “If you want to make peace with your enemy, you have to work with your enemy. Then he becomes your partner“
- “If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other“
- “Imagine all the people living life in peace. You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one. I hope someday you’ll join us, and the world will be as one“
- “I believe in the religion of Islam. I believe in Allah and peace“
- “Only the brave men and women can bring peace to the world, not by practicing war but by practicing nonviolence“
- “World Peace Day is envisioned to become a moment of global unity – it is up to each and every one of us to make this a reality“
In the end i just want to say one line ” Let us keep our goal clear and simple… Let us work for peace”and “Peace begins with a smile” . Keep smiling and enjoy reading. If you liked this post (International Day of Peace/ World Peace Day Activities, Quotes, History) don’t forget to share it with your friends, cousins, neighbors,etc.